Welcome to the Worker Share Program at Turtle Creek Gardens, a division of GRVW Farms, LLC. It is important to us to provide you with an accurate picture of the expectations of the worker share program. The following is an overview of therules relating to this program:
- Worker shares promise to provide 4 hours of work per week during the CSA’s 18-week season, beginning approximately the end of May and running through mid-October. In return, worker shares will receive produce each week. Produce will include seconds and overflow from our weekly harvests. The value of the vegetables that the worker shares receive is $575.00 and will be treated as taxable wages. Worker shares must fill out a W-4. The worker share option is only available to full season shares and not to Every-Other-Week shares.
- Worker shares that have scheduled time off must inform us at the beginning of the season. Time off for sickness or emergency will only be accommodated if we are informed before the work day begins. You will forfeit your produce for that week unless you make up the time later in the week. We can only accommodate one or two absences during the season.
- Worker shares have the option of coming Tuesdays 8:00 a.m. to noon, Wednesdays 8:00 a.m. to noon, and Thursdays 8:00 a.m. to noon. Vegetables need to be harvested despite weather conditions, so be prepared for any type of weather (e.g., rain, cold, or heat). Please wear appropriate clothing for the elements (e.g., boots, raingear, hats, gloves (if you like), sun screen, etc.).
- Work will include some or all of the following: harvesting, washing and packing, weeding, and planting. The work can be physically difficult and people will need to stay focused. You may talk as long as you keep moving. There is a lot to get done in a very short period of time and so we require steady work and speed. The work demands that you are in good physical shape and health.
- We try to accommodate our worker shares with their natural abilities and skills, so if you would like to request a particular job, please do not hesitate to ask. Some jobs include: washing and packing, field work (e.g., harvesting, weeding, planting), newsletter writer/editor (appropriate skills required), and handy person (e.g., fixing, repairing, sharpening, etc.).
- Worker shares are not permitted to bring any minors or other visitors with them on their work days.
- Worker shares must take all the appropriate safety precautions when using tools and operating equipment at the CSA location.
- Worker shares, for their protection and safety, shall not be permitted to enter any buildings at the CSA location or go beyond the work fields without being accompanied by or authorized by someone on Turtle Creek Gardens’ management team.
- Turtle Creek Gardens reserves the right to terminate its relationship with a worker share at anytime and in such case, Turtle Creek Gardens shall have no further obligations or liabilities with respect to such worker share.
We offer several special breakfast days each season for our worker shares. Plan on coming early those days if you can. We will give you ample notice of any upcoming Breakfast.
If you are interested in participating in our Worker Share Program, please email Janet for an application.