Swiss Chard & Mushroom Lasagna
- 1 .5 lbs Swiss Chard, chopped coarsely
- 5 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped coarsely
- 2.5 C sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1 Tbs chopped garlic scape
- 1 egg
- 32 oz low fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 C fresh basil leaves
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 16 lasagna noodles
- 3.5 C homemade or prepared tomato sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Boil the chard in salted water for 15-20 mins., until tender. Drain. Pour 3 Tbsp of the olive oil into a large skillet and sauté the onion over medium heat for 2-3 mins., until golden. Mix the chard and onions together and set aside.
2. Pour the remaining 2 Tbsp of oil into a nonstick saucepan (we use cast iron for everything) and add the mushrooms and garlic. Sauté over medium-low heat for 2-3 mins.
3. Beat the egg in a deep bowl, add the ricotta, thyme, basil, and salt and pepper, and mix well. Add the mushrooms and mix well.
4. Boil the lasagna noodles in salted water for about 2 mins, max.(they must be al dente). Drain. (We usually skip this step. The noodles cook well enough without it and I prefer al dente noodles instead of mush :) )
5. Pour 1.5 cups of tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9 in square baking dish (we always use 13x9 and use thinner layers and extra sauce). Arrange 4 lasagna noodles over the sauce. Top with a thin layer of the chard mixture and finish with a thin layer of the mushroom mixture. Top with 4 more noodles and 1 c of tomato sauce, and repeat the two-step procedure, ending with a layer of noodles and sauce. Cover with foil and bake for about 40 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for another 10-15 mins. Remove from the oven and serve hot. Enjoy!