Sausage and Greens Soup
½ pound bulk sausage
1 cup green onions
garlic whistles to taste
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup potatoes (diced)
salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ cups evaporated milk
1 – 3 cups fresh spinach, kale, beet greens, dandelion, burdock, or other tender young greens (chopped)
parsley to tasted (chopped; optional)
Parmesan cheese (freshly-grated)
• Brown sausage in soup bot and drain all but a spoonful of fat. Remove meat.
• Saute green onions and garlic whistles in reserved fat until soft. Return sausage to soup pot.
• Add broth, potatoes, salt and pepper to pot. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and summer until potatoes are soft, 10-15 minutes.
• Add evaporated milk, fresh greens parsley. Cook until tender (just a minute for spinach, a few extra minutes for greens such as kale or dandelion).
• Garnish each bowl with freshly-grated Parmesan cheese.
Adapted from Simply in Season by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert