2017 Farm Crew Positions
Turtle Creek Gardens is a community supported farm located in Southeastern Wisconsin. Turtle Creek Gardens is a certified organic farm with Biodynamic applications. We also market direct to grocery stores, restaurants, and farmers markets and uphold a high quality standard to our customers.
We are seeking passionate candidates who are interested in advancing their training and experience in vegetable farming, are able to work harmoniously in teams, and have great attitudes that enhance our farm culture.
Positions Include: Field and Harvest Crew Leader, Post Harvest and Handling Crew Member, and Farm Laborers.
1. Field and Harvest Crew Leader must have experience in harvesting vegetables, high tunnel production, field preparation and clean up, operating tractors and basic vegetable equipment, and managing crews. This is a full time seasonal position with a two year commitment.
Skills include: familiarity with vegetables in judging for ripeness, quality, horticultural aptitude, industry standards, pest and weed management and work efficiencies. Applicants will have experience leading other farm laborers in harvesting and other field work requirements, setting a pace, instructing others and will assist the farm operator for field preparation and scheduled sprays. Leadership aptitude a must.
The right candidate will have the opportunity for a long term co-management position.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. $12-$15/hr Other benefits include vegetables, fruit, and meat.
2. Post Harvest and Handling Crew Member works with our pack shed crew in a collaborative team member environment. This is approximately a 35-40hr/week position June-Oct. Our pack shed crew has the opportunity to rotate in and out of the pack shed to work with our field crew. Experience with industry standards and quality control desired.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. $8-$9/hr. Benefits include vegetables, fruit, and meat.
Skills Required: Attention to detail, record keeping, ability to lift 50 pounds, quality control, and good organizational skills a must.
3. Farm Laborers will be part of a harvest and field team responsible for weekly CSA and wholesale harvests, weeding, staking tomatoes, and cleaning fields at the end of the season. Candidates will have experience working in teams and are open and willing in following directions and the ability to work fast paced and the stamina to hold up to long days in all kinds of weather conditions. Good physical health is a must. No experience necessary for the right fit to our farm culture. These positions are flexible with start and finish times during the season and are part time 30-35hrs/week.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. $8-$9/hr. Benefits include vegetables, fruit and meat.
Please submit a cover letter of interest, 3 professional references and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Worker Share Program at Turtle Creek Gardens
Turtle Creek Gardens is a certified organic mixed vegetable operation serving a CSA market, and direct markets to restaurants and stores, including an on-line farm store. We grow approximately 40 different vegetables that serve a diversified marketing strategy, as well as value-added products for our marketing channels. We also grow an assortment of fruit and berries.
The following overview is intended to provide you with an accurate picture of the expectations of the worker share program:
- Worker shares promise to provide 4 hours of work per week during the CSA’s 18-week season (approximately the end of May and through mid-October) In return, worker shares receive produce each week, including seconds and overflow from weekly harvests. The value of the vegetables is $600.00 and will be treated as taxable wages. Worker shares must fill out a W-4. The worker share option is only available to full season shares and not to Every-Other-Week shares.
- Worker shares that need time off must inform us at the beginning of the season. Time off for sickness or emergency will only be accommodated if we are informed before the work day begins. You will forfeit your produce for that week unless you make up the time later in the week. We can only accommodate one or two absences during the season.
Worker shares have the option of coming Tuesdays 8:00 a.m. to noon, Wednesdays 8:00 a.m. to noon, Thursdays 8:00 a.m. to noon, and Saturdays . Vegetables need to be harvested despite weather conditions, so be prepared for any type of weather (e.g., rain, cold, or heat). Please wear appropriate clothing for the elements (e.g., boots, raingear, hats, gloves (if you like), sun screen, etc.).
- Work will include some or all of the following: harvesting, washing and packing, weeding, and planting. The work can be physically difficult--you must be in good physical shape and health.
We try to accommodate our worker shares with their natural abilities and skills, so if you would like to request a particular job, please do not hesitate to ask. Some jobs include: washing and packing, field work (e.g., harvesting, weeding, planting), newsletter writer/editor (appropriate skills required), and handy person (e.g., fixing, repairing, sharpening, etc.).
- Worker shares are not permitted to bring any minors or other visitors with them on their work days.
- Worker shares must take all the appropriate safety precautions when using tools and operating equipment at the CSA location.
- Worker shares, for their protection and safety, shall not be permitted to enter any buildings at the CSA location or go beyond the work fields without being accompanied by or authorized by someone on Turtle Creek Gardens’ management team.
- Turtle Creek Gardens reserves the right to terminate its relationship with a worker share at anytime and in such case, Turtle Creek Gardens shall have no further obligations or liabilities with respect to such worker share.
We offer several special breakfast days each season for our worker shares. Plan on coming early those days if you can. We will give you ample notice of any upcoming Breakfast.